Saturday, June 6, 2015

The Dibdin Songbook: Birth of a Blog

Greetings, world!

My name is Benjamin Laur. I am a singer, composer, voice teacher, and lifelong student of the arts. I am two years into my coursework for a Doctorate of Musical Arts in Voice Performance and Pedagogy at the University of Iowa, where I recently have had the good fortune to encounter the name Charles Dibdin in my studies.


This blog will be an informal by nature but hopefully informative and interesting journey of discovery for me and for you into the world of Dibdin's songs. There doesn't seem to be a large Dibdin footprint online (may change soon, in light of the 2014 conference, Charles Dibdin and His World, and some recent scholarship on his novels--more to come on that in future posts).

What I'm going to try to do here is to slowly, song by song, catalogue the popular songs that appeared in Dibdin's Entertainments, giving links to open-source scores, discussing arrangements and scholarship, and, hopefully, ultimately giving myself a platform to push my own Dibdin song arrangements (nothing like a little shameless self-promotion on the internet. Why not try something new, right?).

So if you're interested in Dibdin, or in popular 18th-century British song, come back from time to time and check out my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment